Redefining the College Experience

Although, Sassafrass wasn’t directly described knitting in Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo, I believe my new skill of knitting can relate to Sassafrass’ wall hangings and cloth weaving. This is my moment of ecstatic joy, finishing my first knit scarf. Only two weeks ago, Emma taught my house of roommates how to knit. We all decided to learn together due to the long hours we’ve been sitting in front of the TV, Zoom lectures, and phones. Due to COVID, most of our nights off-campus are knitting, drinking wine, and watching movies. This wasn’t my original idea of what my junior year would look like, but I also didn’t know how much I enjoyed knitting. Knitting allows me to fully concentrate on what’s in front of me, but entertained with my hands which prevents me from checking my phone, fidgeting, or distracting myself during my online lectures.

I chose to knit this first scarf for my aunt who has been going through a rough time recently. Therefore I was excited to complete my scarf for it was the first thing I’ve ever completed knitting, but also I know how happy it will make my aunt. Finishing this project with that intention makes the feeling of completion more satisfying and worthwhile. I had the stereotype that knitting is just something lonely older women do before Emma learned to knit, but it’s simply not true! Further, I’ve decided to pass on my newfound love for knitting over Thanksgiving to my family, teaching my mother and younger sisters to knit. Although I originally thought my junior fall would be full of tailgating and going to bars, we’ve all had to make shifts to fill our evenings with activity. Knitting wasn’t something I ever planned to pick up, but I truly love it and cannot wait to knit more things for my friends and family.