Comparing Mediums in Guava Island and “This is America”

I would like to discuss question 4, which is: Does the difference in genre and/or medium affect how we understand the dancing and lyrical performances of the music video “This is America” versus how we understand it in the film Guava Island?  How? Or Why not? I want to think through this question because I think it would be interesting to compare two of Donald Glover’s works, which are both centered around Black issues, and see how he tells each story differently. I think that the fact that “This is America” is a music video provides the audience with a different experience. I think the music video has a satirical tone to it, and this makes the audience feel unsettled, further strengthening the message of the video. This can be seen when Childish Gambino is smiling and dancing happily with the schoolchildren as fighting and killing erupts around them. I think the satire and shocking, quickly-changing scenes also make the video feel more like fiction. For the film, the audience suspends their belief, and what is happening feels more real. When Deni is killed after performing at the festival, his death feels more emotional and real. The movie has a more serious and realistic tone, and the audience develops a deeper connection to the characters because we get to spend more time with them.

1. Which did you enjoy more, “This is America” or “Guava Island”? Why?
  2. What do the performances in each text represent within their own respective stories?