Guava Island 4th Prompt

The mediums and genres of both the “This Is America” music video and the performance of it in Guava Island present contexts which allow us as viewers to understand them differently. The format of the music video is a 4 minute standalone YouTube video, while the performance of the song in Guava Island lies in the middle of a 45 minute short dramatic film, and contributes to the plot development of the film. Initially, I took my understanding of the music video into my viewing of the film, but seeing it presented differently on screen made me contemplate the deeper meaning behind its lyrics and performance.

This question sparks my interest because as I was viewing Guava Island, I found that both the dance and lyrics of “This is America” took on almost an entirely new meaning. The film, taking place outside of America, is a critique of its racist history and systemic issues being conveyed to people on the island who have the desire to go to America. The music video, in contrast, is told from the perspective of a man who has lived in America and through the injustices presented in the performance. Different visuals are given in the video, specifically the image of Donald Glover dancing on top of a car, surrounded by others sitting on cars, which I think is an allusion to the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina and how the aftermath severely affected Black Americans in New Orleans. This image, I believe, has a different impact on viewers/listeners who can relate to this compared to those who can’t. In Guava Island, the setting of the factory allows the song to highlight more of the racism and injustice in the American capitalist system.

My questions to the class are whether or not you think the different contexts and points of view the film and music video have an impact on their meanings, and if, as Americans, the context of the film made us think of our role as American consumers of art, and if that role causes us to ignore important messages within these art forms.