Office Hours

Overview

Office hours are one of the most valuable resources you have as a college and/or graduate student, so make use of them, not just in this class, but in all of your classes!

In-Person: Thursdays 4:30 -5:45 pm in my office at Stokes 441 South.

Virtual: Rotating between Mondays, Wednesday, and Friday late afternoon/evening. TBA weekly.

Virtual Office Hours

Virtual office hours will take place on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday of each week. While I will try for consistency, virtual hours may shift from week to week. I will announce the week’s virtual office hour by the end of the prior week.

There will be a designated “Virtual Office Hours” link for virtual office hours (circulated via email). Please use this designated link to access the virtual office hours (as opposed to the class session link or any other link).

In-Person Office Hours

In-person office hours will take place weekly on Thursdays from 4:30 -5:45 pm in my office at Stokes 441S.

However in-person office hours are subject to change as a result of the following:

1. health of the instructor
  2. health of the student
  3. change in university, college, or department policies regarding in-person meetings and/or on-campus activities.

In the event that in-person office hours are cancelled for any of the above reasons, office hours will take place virtually (assuming that both the instructor and the student are physically able to meet). Changes to in-person office hours will be communicated through email. To access a virtual office hour session, please use the designate “Virtual Office Hours” Zoom link (circulated via email).

IMPORTANT

Out of an abundance of precaution, please do not meet with me in person if, within the 24 hours of our meeting time, any of the following apply:

1. you feel sick or under the weather (even if you’re sure you only have seasonal allergies)
  2. you live with someone and/or have been intimate contact with someone who has been sick
  3. you have been directed to quarantine or self-isolate.

In the event that any of the above apply to you, I am happy to meet with you virtually as you are able to do so.

Office Hours RSVP Sign-Up

How to Reserve a Time Slot

*You may request a virtual office hour slot anytime after I send the weekly virtual office hours email.

* You may request an in-person office hour slot 48 hours of the regularly scheduled in-person office hours time.

*Requests for virtual or in-person office hours slot should be made by email. For expediency, please indicate both your preferred time slots as well as any time slots you could make if I’m not able to accommodate your preferred time.

Why Reserve a Time Slot?

Please note “office hours” are for any one wishing to meet with me, not just the students in this class. There are times (usually at the beginning of the semester) when my office hours are fairly open, and I will be available if you just pop in as you are able. However office hours can fill up especially as the semester progresses. If you know in advance that you plan to come to office hours at a particular time, I suggest letting me know ahead of time, so I can reserve 10-20 minutes for you (as needed).

While the idea of reserving a spot, might seem counter intuitive to some people’s idea of “office hours,” I find that the first-come-first serve method is not fair for those students whose schedules prevent them from arriving early enough to ensure they can utilize the time.

Peak Times

During peak times, I may actively circulate a sign up sheet asking for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices so I can facilitate a schedule that accommodates as many folks as possible.