Mohammed’s Proposal

When I think of what I would like to figuratively take with me into my next stage of life, my perspective and mindset are some of the first things that come to mind. On the one hand, going to college gives one a new environment and space away from home so it is common to undergo change. Though I think going to a place like Boston College was especially unique and it forced me to grapple with race among many other social identities. Before coming here, I was accustomed to being in ‘liberal’ spaces that looking back, felt we had been in a post-racial world. And so it did not take long at all for that bubble to burst here at BC– a mere stroll through campus and I noticed the difference from my high school. This exploration of race led to my decision to major in AADS, think about privilege, think about children of recent African immigrants vs. being black as a descendant of enslaved people, and so much more. Additionally, earlier on in this journey, I learned a lot more about widespread systemic injustices in our recent past as well as in the present which all took a toll on me. I think my belief that there is a God who is All-Seeing and Just was a key part of my journey that helped to counter the natural frustration in hearing about so much injustice. All in all, I feel like my high school self would not recognize the decisions I made/how much I’ve changed when it comes to identity– with an emphasis on race– so this may be a chance to reflect on how it all happened. And given that I like taking long walks and listening to podcasts/audiobooks, for my project’s form, I am thinking of potentially creating a podcast as a time capsule to capture my thoughts for a future Mohammed to give a listen.