February 21, 2022 – Sorbonne Université-Paris, France

Hello everyone and welcome back to a new semester! When I left Paris last semester I realized (and was so happy) that my time was not up yet. I knew for so long that I wanted to Study Abroad for the whole year but having to leave for Christmas break made me realize how much I would miss being in Paris and being with the friends I have met while being here.

Last semester I was with an incredible host mom. We would have 2-hour long dinners, which to some it seems like a lot, but in that time, I not only got to eat amazing French food she made, but we also got to discuss worldly topics in French. So I got to practice French and talk about the world! This semester I am living in an apartment, because my host mom moved to the south of France, which I am super sad about, but she is letting my friends and I come visit her in April!

I have been studying at Sorbonne Université since last semester, and my first thing I have to say about the school is: don’t let the pretty buildings fool you, the classes are incredibly difficult. That was another bonus of being here last semester because last semester I came to the school and I was so lost. I had no idea how to get around, and the classes were difficult to understand at first, and it was hard figuring out what “homework” I actually had. I say “homework” because besides having an exam, a presentation, and going to class, the professors leave it up to you to figure out what you should be doing for the course, which is super confusing.

Coming back in the Spring I felt like such a pro knowing where my classes are as well as being able to take classes with professors that I had last semester that I really enjoyed. My favorite classes are about “the Construction of Europe” after World War II and then a French and International Law class, as well as a course about World War I.

At first it was very difficult meeting new people, because I learned very quickly that the French like to keep to their pre-made groups. It makes sense because that would be similar to having your friend group at BC. The HUGE bonus to being at the Sorbonne is that there is a club for international students to go do things to meet other international students. For example I went ice skating last week!)This is how I met my closest friends that I have now, from last semester events, such as going to picnics in the park and other things

A highlight and downside of coming back is realizing that this is the last semester I am here. It is a downside because I don’t want to leave. It is also a highlight because it forces me to go explore Paris more in depth than before. First semester, I focused a lot on wanting to travel and get to go see all these monuments and buildings in other countries. (I have a list of 100 Places to Go Before you die list and I wanted to check off ALL the Europe ones). The downside to traveling a lot (besides the fact that it becomes really expensive) is that you miss exploring the actual city you get to live in.

When I came back, I came back with this goal of staying here and going to parts of Paris I have never been, and it has been so great getting to do those things with my friends. A good example is this past weekend I went to Chateau Fontainebleau with my friends from the Sorbonne. We just took the train there from Gare de Lyon and boom 50 minutes on the train and 30 minutes of walk later we ended up at the chateau.

As I said before, since the school is incredibly difficult, the same friends who I went to the Chateau with on Saturday, came with me to the library the next day. Sunday is the day we normally try to catch up on all our homework before the week starts (I have two paper presentations I have to write and an exam coming up). The beautiful Sorbonne library is usually closed on Sundays and so we go to the French National library!

Hopefully once these assignments are over I will have a good vacation in a couple of weeks! For winter break I am going to visit a friend in Barcelona and then go one of my friend’s houses in Germany!