Django Unchained: the power of language

For my creative post I have decided to examine the reality of language and how it should be presented in contemporary films. In 2012, a Western film released by Quentin Tarantino, challenged the genre in terms of quality, and respectfully portrayed the harsh reality of language in the American South. While the primary focus of my creative post is not the plot of Django Unchained, I think that it is important to highlight the general idea of movie, in order to add depth to the larger discussion of language within the film. The film vaguely follows the adventures of Django (a freed slave) and Shulz (a bounty hunter) as they try to rescue Broomhilda (Django’s wife who was taken from him). Throughout Django’s adventures, the Brittle brothers (white slave masters) repeatedly use some considerably despicable language in reference to the many black characters within the film. The use of the n-word in film has been a hotly debated topic, with some film critics suggesting that the word should be abolished from film as a whole. While these thoughts may be clear intentioned, I think the overall effect of language suppression should be considered when weighing the topic. Personally, I believe ignoring the prevalent improper use of the n-word (among certain races) is putting a band-aid on an extremely sensitive issue; it is important that the reality (and terribleness) of the n-word is highlighted in popular culture (as it was conceived in the deep-south). It is my belief that much of the improper use of the n-word is rooted in miseducation and ignorance; if the roots of this word and its true meaning were represented more in popular culture, maybe more people would take heed to the reality of the extreme negative connotation this word carries (when used the improper way). Personally, I believe that the word carries a negative connotation and I wouldn’t understand why anyone would want to call themselves something that carries such a cruel history; however, ultimately it is not my decision, and I believe that Tarantino presented the reality of language, and made it up to the viewer to take away what they would from the film (although considering the fate of the Brittle brothers there is only one real conclusion).

Do you think that this film portrayed the n-word in a respectful way?

If not, why?

2 Comments

1. This is a post and question that examines a relevant discussion in hollywood as it pertains to race. Many criticize Tarantino for using the n-word in his films. The criticism comes from the fact that this is a white director and creator including a symbol of black hate into his art. With the film and time that Tarantino is creating the film in however, it must be authentic. It should not come from a place of ignorance, but a place of education. I’m not sure I have enough information to make that decision, but it is a discussion that must be examined in art and creation.

2. I think this is an important conversation. I do think that in some sense, the film did a good job of creating a tone of disgust in the audience as the n-word was thrown around. But, to be honest, I think the film seems to suffer from a white gaze of the filmmaker, Tarantino. The film invites the audience to join in on watching a snuff film of racist assholes, which in some sense is dope. I hate racists and seeing them be killed comically and entertainingly makes for good film. But I worry about making white audiences too comfortable with overt racism warranting violence, numbing them to the methods of white supremacy that still live within them or their families.