Pilgrimage Course

One of the unique experiences of pilgrimage that became evident to me on the Camino was the simplicity and intentionality of the lifestyle while walking. When you are a pilgrim, your one job is to walk. Every other expectation, responsibility, or task of regular life is stripped away, and your routine is condensed to the bare essentials: eat, sleep, and walk. This simplicity is a unique aspect of pilgrimage that causes people to examine what is really important in their life, however, it can also make the journey very individualistic if someone chooses to make it so. The potentially individualistic nature of pilgrimage means that besides choosing to walk every day, every conversation, reflection, and relationship you form on the Camino is a choice. This intentionality was one of Camino’s most significant gifts for me; I felt like it gave me a clearer sense of my values and what brought me true fulfillment. For those fourteen days, I chose to immerse my life in connection and reflection, and it was one of the most fulfilling and impactful times in my life. I met twelve incredible new friends and mentors, and I was able to work through issues that were inhibiting my life back at home. So, since coming home from Camino, I have tried hard to preserve intentionality in my life. I have made an effort to be very intentional about where I am putting my energy and time and to whom I give my support and emotional energy. Putting energy into who and what makes me feel fulfilled and happy is a lesson I will continue to remember and demonstrate from Camino. Due to the unique environment of simplicity on pilgrimage, I saw how vital intentionality is to me to reach my greatest self-fulfillment and happiness.