In Their Own Words: Xinyue Zhang

I obtained my BS in physics from Nanjing University in Jiangsu Province in China where I was born and raised. During my undergrad I worked with molecular beam epitaxy, when I really got interested in condensed matter physics and hands-on experimental science.

After starting my PhD in 2018, I switched to studying the magnetic properties of two-dimensional materials using nitrogen-vacancy centers, which are a very powerful single-spin sensor. My research involves preparing samples of diamond and ultra-thin van der Waals materials, building the optical and cryogenic setups for measurement, programming the experiments and data analysis using multiple programming languages, and finally presenting the results in a scientific publication.

Outside the lab I enjoy a variety of exercises including powerlifting and hiking. I am also a fan of Japanese anime/manga/games.

What inspired you to study physics?

I used to like drawing, and during the training I found myself more attracted by sketching real-world objects rather than the designing stuff. Then during high school I met a really interesting physics teacher, who would smoke in class to explain the Tyndall effect. After being attracted to physics by her funny experiments in class, I got fascinated by the description of real-world problems through the language of math, even more elegant than sketching. Also my dad persuaded me that if I study physics I don’t have to socialize as much as in other majors (which now I know is not necessarily true).  Therefore I went to pursue a bachelor’s degree in physics.

What is your proudest achievement?

Every step in research is not easy, and it’s hard to pick one achievement that I’m proudest of. One noteworthy achievement that comes to my mind is that I set up our lab’s first cryostat, with the help from all my labmates. This is a non-trivial job and it is also extremely important for my research, because many of the quantum phenomena to be discovered can only be seen at cryogenic temperatures.

What advice would you give to current undergraduates?

My advice to current undergraduates is to explore as many interesting opportunities as possible. It is important to find out what really interests you and what you want to pursue as a career. You never know if you have some hidden talent in something if you don’t explore enough.

Xinyue can be reached at zhangbtr AT bc DOT edu. Read more about Xinyue’s research here.

In Their Own Words: Xinyue Zhang