In the Footsteps of Leaders

I worry some of you still have not really met Jesus—one-to-one—you and Jesus alone. We spend time in chapel—but have you seen with the eyes of your soul how He looks at you with love? Do you really know the living Jesus—not from books, but from being with Him in your heart? Have you heard the living words He speaks to you? (Excerpt from the Varanassi letter by Mother Teresa)

I have asked myself (as others have too) “WHY” did I want to go on the pilgrimage? The Varanassi letter covers that question for me. If Mother Teresa was concerned about the closeness of relationships between devout nuns and Jesus, then I knew and know that there is room for me to move closer to Him as well!

And my experience delivered! St. Ignatius was injured at a young age, shattering his leg, which would eventually bring him closer to God. I spent 2 and half months in traction in the hospital (due to a car accident) when I was in 11th grade, followed by a body cast for a few months after that. Finally, after getting my last cast off I felt somewhat “free”. Two weeks later I broke my leg again (it was not ready to be uncast after all)! Unlike St. Ignatius, I did NOT respond (initially) with a passion towards God! It has taken me 40 years to route myself back to where I am now happy to be. The pilgrimage was very much a culminating experience for my journey! The picture I chose to include is from the cave at Manresa, where a statue captures St. Ignatius writing the Spiritual Exercises. He is looking over his shoulder as he writes, symbolizing the fact that he was not writing his own words, but those of God. He was simply the “pen” for Jesus. What a wonderful way to consider living! I continue to TRY.